Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how can i stop thinking i'm positive?
Jun 24, 2007

i take 100mg of zoloft, 1 atripla and have a UD viral load, cd4 of 794 and i can't stop thinking about myself being positive. it's not always in a negative way. it's just always there. i am fatigued and tired all the time. i really hate i did this to myself. there is always going to be something that lets me and others know. i just want to feel good again. i will never feel normal again and for that i am very sad and afraid.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Having HIV is certainly not a cause for celebration. However, it is like many other illnesses. It requires great personal resolve and strength to cope with it. You have no way to turn the clock back. You cannot undo your HIV infection, but you can decide how you intend to move forward. You can make your best effort to get good treatment (as you seem to be doing) and then carry on your life in the most productive way you can.

If you're feeling tired and fatigued all the time and are having constant negative thoughts, then you should be evaluated by a mental health professional to see if you're suffering from depression. Fatigue and constant negative, pessimistic thoughts are common symptoms of depression, and if they persist, you should be evaluated and get appropriate treatment.

Previous
dementia
Next
atripla. how fast does it work?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.