The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jun 24, 2007

Hi there, my question has to do with dementia. I have been positive for nine years, and was on treatment for five of those years. for the past four, I have chosen not to take meds (mainly due to previous side effects I had encountered) currently, my vl is in hte 40,000 range and my cd4 hovers around 300 (even on treatment it never reached higher than 450)

over the past few years, I have noticed more cognitive problems and that it is getting hard to concentrate.

am I at risk for developing dementia?

are there other cognitive disorders that hiv positive people might be prone to?

thank you

Response from Dr. Horwath

With a high viral load you are at risk for developing HIV-associated cognitive impairment, but that does not mean that you have it. You should be evaluated by a doctor or psychologist who knows how to assess for cognitive impairment. Typical signs would incude slowed thinking and slowness in carrying out tasks, memory impairment, trouble solving problems, and motor problems like hand tremor, gait and balance difficulty, and weakness.

These signs and symptoms can be subtle and should be evaluated by a professional. Having been evaluated, your best course would be to resume treatment with the supervision of a doctor who is experienced in treating HIV/AIDS.

HIV for 12 years
how can i stop thinking i'm positive?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint