emotions and decision to apply for disability insurance

My friend is considering applying for disability insurance. He is afraid that life after disability will not be worth living. He has a lot of fear of applying for disabiilty. Could you please point me in the direction of information about the emotional aspects that people living with HIV feel when they are confronted with going on disability?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Disability benefits are very valuable to people who are no longer able to work and have no other means of support. Being on disability can also have a downside. When not working or doing something productive, some people start to feel like they don't have value or develop feelings of helplessness and depression. This is not inevitable, but it does happen to some.

My husband just died
HIV AND CD4