Effexor

My doc has placed me on Effexor. I have tried a handfull of SSRI's over time. I recently went off Lexapro when it seemed to no longer help with my depression. I am at wits end with the sexual dysfuction which at times I feel has taken away my humanity. ED drugs give me the most awlful of headaches that last for well over 24 hours, even at the lowest of doses which dont work, so they are out. Am I just going to have to live with this? Is ther ANY anti-depressants that wont cause sexual dysfunction? I have read the inserts of possible side effects related to Effexor and the possibilty exists for sexual dysfuction. I appreciate your time and efforts in regard to my query.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The SSRIs are known for causing sexual dysfunction. Effexor (venlafaxine) can also cause sexual dysfunction, but it is somewhat less likely to do so than an SSRI. The only way to know how it will affect you is to try it. The antidepressant that is probably least likely to cause sexual dysfunction is buproprion (Wellbutrin). If all else fails, you might give that a try.

Question of life n death
long term survivor crisis