The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jun 5, 2007

I've been positive for 12years. My T cells are over 1000. I'm doing great on Trizivir. But I fall into bouts of depression. I don't know who to consult and afraid that any other meds would jeopardize the good work of the HIV med.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You should see a mental health professional such as a psychiatrist or psychologist. You need to be evaluated for depression. If you do indeed have a depression that needs treatment, then there are several effective treatments, including psychotherapy and antidepressant medications. If needed, there are several excellent antidepressants that will not interfere with your antiretroviral medications.


  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint