I DESPARATELY Need Advice about HIV Pos son

My 24-y-o son was diagnosed w/HIV in April '06. Since then he has been on some severe heavy drinking binges (several blackouts) and is now an alcoholic.

His CD-4 count at the time of diagnosis was 15 and he has been on medication since then. He is depressed(but in denial about it), drinks too much, and is NOT taking proper care of himself. He is convinced that he is going to die very soon(so why not drink?)... This is despite the fact that he has not been ill since his pneumonia in April when he was 1st diagnosed.

He finally had his blood drawn again last month(12/06) - his FIRST since his diagnosis in April when we found out his CD-4 was 15.

I'm at my wits end trying to get him to seek professional help and I don't know how to give him HOPE. If he stops drinking and starts taking care of himself, will his CD-4 increase??

He's my only child and I feel completely lost as to how to help him.

Desparate Mom...

Response from Dr. Horwath

He needs treatment for his alcohol abuse. If you contact a good alcohol treatment program, they may be able to help you get him into treatment. Once he stops drinking, you have a chance of helping him develop some hope and getting him into treatment.

delayed depression?
HIV+, Depression, Cocaine