How long for the immune system to become affected by virus?

Hello i have a question. This past weekend i noticed a rash on my palm, and on monday i went with a dermatologist and she said it was herpes simplex 1. She said that it was strange to see herpes on the palm of the hand. She also mention about having a weak immune system, and this made me think of HIV right away. I did have unprotected sex with my partner. He was the only one ive had intercourse with. It was about 6 months ago. My question is, would my immune system get weak that quickly that it made it possible for me to get infected with herpes on my hand?

Response from Dr. Horwath

No, if you were infected 6 months ago, you would not develop symptoms like Herpes due to HIV so quickly. However, Herpes infection can occur in people who are HIV negative. It is unusual on the palm.

If your concerned about HIV, you should get tested.

HIV infection
stopping meds