The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

whether my children will be HIV+

Jan 22, 2007

I am HIV positive & came to know last nov 04h cd4 200 after some medication from nov 2005 I started taking antiretroviral & completed one year with this . my weight is 70kg. & age 40years. I was affected by Herpes. That time I came to know about this. Now I am always having the threat of my life. Sept 06 I have CD4. 340.& STILL TAKING med regularly. My question are:

1) How much one can live with this disease if he go by regular medication 2) Also to know whether my children who are 9 & 6 year old will be positive. my wife is not positive. tested three time so far.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You have had a positive response to treatment. Your CD4 count went up and you are apparently without any other major medical complications. We cannot predict how long you will live, but we have every reason to believe that you will continue to do well for many years if you take your antiretroviral medication regularly. Many people have survived with HIV for many years. That is especially true for those who are on treatment.

Since your wife is HIV negative, your children are safe. For mothers who are HIV positive, there is a risk of maternal to child transmission. This risk is greatly reduced if the pregnant mother takes treatment. However, there is no transmission from father to child as a result of pregnancy or childbirth unless the mother also has HIV.


  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint