24 Years!

I've been HIV positive I believe since 1992. I did not find out until 2000 when I was hospitalized with a CD4 cell count of 8. Today, the virus has been under control since discovery in 2000. I've been undetectable since, and my current CD4 is around 500 something. I'm on Kaletra/Combivar and everything is working great. Today I just read an AP story about the cost of HIV in one's lifetime, which the story says is about 24 years life expectency after infection!!! YIKES! if thats true I only have about 10 years left! Hogwash I say! but what do you think? should i just party it up considering what the story says?

Thanks,

CJ in NH

Response from Dr. Horwath

The 24 year figure is an estimate based on experience with the available treatments. It does not mean that your life expectancy is only 24 years from the time of infection. The fact is that the medical field is not able to predict life expectancy for any one individual either with or without HIV. For those with HIV, it is also possible that new treatments may come along that better control HIV and further extend life expectancy.

You are currently healthy and should lead your life based on your current condition and maintain a positive outlook for the future.

Hiv/Aids
Sill Freaked Out