depression from medication

about 8 months into taking sustiva and truvada i went into a depression and my MD said it was probably from my meds he wanted to switch meds but i didnt want to because they are working on the HIV my cd4 is 700 and vl undetectable. so i started on brupropion and i feel better the majority of the time. do you think i will have to stay on these antidepressants while im on the sustiva and truvada. should i switch medication.im very nervious to switch. but i dont want to stay on antidepressants all the time.

Response from Dr. Horwath

It is quite possible that Sustiva contrbuted to the depression. It is known to do this. However, the onset 8 months into treatment may be unrelated to the Sustiva given the long delay. Since you have responded well to bupropion, I would recommend sticking with the anitdepressant and the Sustiva because they are both working well for you. If you are depression free for a period of 1 year, you can discuss with your doctor a trial off of the bupropion. If the depression recurs, then you would need to resume treatment.

Dating HIV+ and HIV-, Also Long term relationship
hiv info