Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome

Dr. Horwath - I asked the following question: "With the Vietnam and the two latest gulf wars, I have become aware of post stress syndrome(or whatever it is called). Has there been a study regarding these symptoms as related to finding out that one is infected with HIV? Some people that I know who have AIDS also have mental health problems. Would this be an avenue for researchers to explore and maybe get the help to those effected?"

Your response leads me to believe that I was not clear about what I wanted to know. I was recommending that a study be conducted to find out if there is a relationship of PTS and learning of one's diagnosis of being HIV+. I am just a guy who wants to know things and hope that someone qualified person will take the time to find out about this situation.

Response from Dr. Horwath

People with HIV infection have a similar risk for psychiatric problems as do those without HIV infection. The main difference is that advanced AIDS is often associated with cognitive impairment as a result of the effect of the HIV on the brain.

Mental Health Resources in Brazil
hiv and chicken pox