Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome
Dec 19, 2006

Dr. Horwath - I asked the following question: "With the Vietnam and the two latest gulf wars, I have become aware of post stress syndrome(or whatever it is called). Has there been a study regarding these symptoms as related to finding out that one is infected with HIV? Some people that I know who have AIDS also have mental health problems. Would this be an avenue for researchers to explore and maybe get the help to those effected?"

Your response leads me to believe that I was not clear about what I wanted to know. I was recommending that a study be conducted to find out if there is a relationship of PTS and learning of one's diagnosis of being HIV+. I am just a guy who wants to know things and hope that someone qualified person will take the time to find out about this situation.

Response from Dr. Horwath

People with HIV infection have a similar risk for psychiatric problems as do those without HIV infection. The main difference is that advanced AIDS is often associated with cognitive impairment as a result of the effect of the HIV on the brain.

Previous
Mental Health Resources in Brazil
Next
hiv and chicken pox

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.