Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Brother just diagnosed
Dec 19, 2006

My brother was diagnosed recently with meningitis. He's still in the hospital, but he seems better. He just told our dad that he has AIDS. They said something about seeing if they could cleanse his blood or something of that nature. I'm really worried and I'd like to know how long do most people live after the HIV virus becomes full blown AIDS? Will my brother just become increasingly ill or will he still be able to live a quite normal life with medications? Please help me and answer my questions. I love him sooooooooo much. I'm not ready to let him go. Please tell me he can still outlive me or at least live a long life.

Response from Dr. Horwath

If he gets appropriate treatment and has a good response to treatment, he may be able to live a relatively healthy and functional life for years. I can't say for sure because I don't know if he's had treatment before and what his response has been. But there are good reasons to be very hopeful. People with AIDS often bounce back from very serious acute medical problems. The key is for him to get good treatment and to be very faithful to his medication regimen.

Previous
will my marriage make it??
Next
Mental Health Resources in Brazil

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.