Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

will my marriage make it??
Dec 19, 2006

My husband just told me 3 days ago that he is HIV positive. I went and got tested the next day and I am negative. Sometimes I feel like I should tall him to just leave and get a divorce ASAP. Other times I feel like I should try to work on it. We have 2 beautiful sons ages 2 and 5. I am very upset with him for keeping this from me for six months and he put me at risk. I guess my questions are. Can you REALLY have a marriage if your husband is HIV positive? I do not want to stay in this marriage if I am always going to be scared of being infected. Can we really still be intimate in all ways that make both of us happy? Should I bail out now? I am only 30yrs old and have plenty of life to live. I do not know if i can overcome the deceit and lies he has told just so he would not have to tell me that he was positive. thank you nowhere to turn

Response from Dr. Horwath

The problem that your marriage has is a violation of trust. You need to decide if you can live with this breach of trust. You may need some time and you certainly need to have an opportunity to talk to your husband about this situation.

I don't know if he can explain himself or provide you with a reason to stay in the marriage, but you should certainly have an opportunity to talk and try to understand what happened between the two of you.

Previous
Nevirapine
Next
Brother just diagnosed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.