Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronically Depressed
Oct 15, 2006

I was diagnosed HIV+ 8 months ago. Since then, my depression has worsened to the point where it's practically debilitating. I often can't get out of bed for days. I just spent the last 2 days in bed contemplating suicide. I was so depressed I didn't even call into work yesterday and never made it to my first appointment with a mental health group. I feel hopeless most times and can't seem to punch through these morbid feelings. I've been self-medicating with alcohol. This seems to make things even worse. Intellectually I know that I need help, but I freeze when it comes time to face the issues. I fear that my job may be in jeopardy because of the time I have taken off - usually to collapse in the bed for days. I haven't told my 19 year old son yet about my diagnosis. I don't know how to tell him. I just need some advice. Please help me.

Thanks. NYC

Response from Dr. Horwath

You need to seek help immediately. You have a very serious depression and you need treatment. If necessary, take a medical leave from work. You cannot continue in this way because you will not improve and your chance of losing your job permanently will only increase. Getting treatment, on the other hand, can help you to recover, and will provide the necessary documentation you need to take a leave from work. If you have a documental illness, your employer is required to make reasonable accomodations for your treatment and recovery.

Since you are in NYC, you should have no trouble finding a psychiatrist. Get a referral from your HIV doctor.

Previous
Signs of HIV
Next
Inositol

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.