Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What rights do I have with Mental Health Treatment
Oct 15, 2006

Can my Therapist, Psychiatrist, and clinic I go to refuse to provide Mental Health Services. Situtation is this they insist I must go to group they feel will help me. If I refuse to go to the group, they will end treatment. The group is not related to substance abuse or the like. It is a DBT group.

Problem being is the group interfers with my College Courses or Work Study Position.

Therapist says either go to group or else no therapy.

I will also say the group is not helping, A) I am the only male there and also gay. Rest are females. Makes me very uneasy.

What can I do? I like my therapist and Psychiatrist otherwise.

Response from Dr. Horwath

They must have some good reason for insisting on the group treatment. DBT groups are usually recomended for people who certain repetitive problems in their relationships with others. These types of groups can be quite effective if you participate in an open way. Of course, it won't be helpful if you resist it, and you need to decide what your priorities are. You may need to be flexible in your college courses and work study in order to have a chance to benefit from the group. Give it a chance.

Previous
Lenghth of confirmed results
Next
T-cell counts and stress

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.