drugs for mental condition

Hello, dr!

I was recently diagnosed with a VL of 7,000 and CD4 at 426. Currently not on HIV meds, but just changed drugs for my bipolar condition.

I'm levomepromazine, diazepam and promethazine hydrochloride. Have noted changes in my skin, dry mouth and swollen eyelids. Im probably changing to Zyprexa in a month or 2, due to insurance issues.

Can I take this meds? Will they affect my general state or the HIV disease progression?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I don't know what your diagnosis is, so I can't comment on what are the correct psychiatric medications for you. However, if your doctor switches you to Zyprexa, there is no specific safety concern that you should have with regard to your HIV meds. You should know that Zyprexa can cause weight gain and you should have your blood sugar and weight monitored while taking this drug.

Confused about HIV-2 treatment
HIV/AIDS and Survivor's Guilt