Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of HIV infection from blood test
Jul 30, 2006

I went for a blood test at a pathology lab upon recommendation by a doctor. My concern is that I am not sure if the person taking my blood used the right procedures and hence put me at risk for HIV infection. I am however absolutely sure that she used a sterile syringe needle. (I saw it myself.)

She also swabbed some alcohol on my arm before she took my blood.

My worry is this : The small funnel like apparatus which she placed the syringe needle through to draw my blood may have not been clean. I observed the funnel like appratus for about 2 minutes before she placed the syringe needle through it.

If there was HIV infected blood stains on this small funnel like apparatus AND the syringe needle came into contact with this blood..AND THEN introduced into my blood stream when she drew my blood will I be at risk of a HIV infection??

The syringe needle was sterile when she took it out and before she placed it through the funnel like apparatus. She also used alcohol on my skin (but not on the needle) before she pierced my arm for blood.

My only concern is if the syringe needle can pick up HIV infected blood present on the surface of the small funnel like apparatus and then put me at risk when introduced into my bloodstream.

Can the HIV virus be picked up by the needle from the plastic surface and introduced into my blood? Please help. I've been thinking a lot about this.

Response from Dr. Horwath

No, the HIV virus cannot be picked up by the needle from the plastic surface and introduced into your blood.

Previous
Where does aids come from?
Next
Could Sweat cause HIV infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.