What can I expect?

Hi. I was diagnosed with AIDS in July 2005, and started Sustiva and Truvada in August 2005. My CD4 was 191 and was given AIDS diagnosis because of CDC guidelines, but had no opportunistic infections. I am now at CD4 243 and my Viral Load is undetecable last three testing periods. I am still learning, so what can I expect? How long will I be able to stay on Sustiva and Truvada? How long might I live? I am 43 years old, male in good body shape. I suffer some serious fatigue at times. Depression has become an issue and I take an anti-depressant. I know you aren't a fortune teller, but the truth about what I can expect for the rest of my life would be great to know. Thanks much!

Response from Dr. Horwath

I am certainly not a fortune teller, but I can say that you have good reasons to be hopeful for a long and productive life. You started treatment, you have an undetectable viral load, you have had no opportunistic infections, and your CD4 count is rising. These are all very promising signs. You are basically quite healthy and should remain so as long as you take your medications reliably.

The future is impossible to predict for anyone, with or without HIV. What we can say is that taking your medication, taking proper care of yourself, and remaining hopeful will definitely improve the quality of your life and prolong it.

Testing
Partner non-disclosure