fear of transmission

I am currently involved with a man that is my dream come true. We are a discordant couple, he's negative for HIV, but does have HPV and HSV. We engage in safe sex. But I have the nagging tension that I may infect him with HIV. Although we have a relatively good sex life, I cannot help but feel weary and frankly, at times feel I should not be with him. Even though we've discussed these feelings, and he's assured me that we will go through this together, the feelings do not go away. Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are doing the right thing by discussing the issues. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. You and he have to decide for yourselves individually and as a couple how you want to proceed.

I would recommend allowing him to decide for himself whether he wants to assume the risk of exposure to HIV by having sex with you. If you have other reasons to feel that you should not be with him, then you should explore those and decide based on your own feelings about him.

HIV + herpes
how do i care for someone with aids related dementia