Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV test after possible exposure
Jul 5, 2006

I've made the biggest mistake of my life. 3 weeks ago I had sex with a woman that was not my wife. She is a friend of a friend. I performed oral on her and we had vaginal sex with a condom. I've been married over 8 years. This is the first time I've ever done something this stupid and I will never do it again. I don't know why I did this and am very distraught over it, both from the guilt of infidelity and the worry I may have contracted an STD. 1 week ago (14 days after the incident) I provided a urine sample and 3 vials of blood for a battery of STD tests: Syphilis (RPR ?) Chlamydia Gonnorhea Herpes 1 (IGM test?) Herpes 2 (IGM test?) HIV (PCR Test)

One-by-one, all the tests came back negative until finally, 4 days later, the HIV test result was negative. I inquired about the 28-days that most places claim is required to take the PCR test and the testing center told me that there is enough research and published literature out there to show that HIV will show up by the PCR test as soon as 72 hours after infection and 14 days later would be enough time for a reliable test.

I'm starting some therapy today to help deal with my anxiety and guilt but am worried about the potential of a false negative from the PCR test.

Two questions: 1) How much should I trust the test result for the HIV PCR test and the other tests as well?

2) What is my risk of HIV infection considering the oral and condom-protected vaginal sex?

Response from Dr. Horwath

The PCR test is not intended as a screening test. For the most part, it is used to measure viral load. The standard screening tests are ELISA and Western blot, which are greater than 99.9% sensitive. You should trust the results. You may repeat after 3 months to be sure.

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal sex is extremely low.

Previous
How long does HIV live outside the body?
Next
To sleep, perchance to dream...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.