prolonged zoloft use

I have been using 100mg of zoloft a day for almost 2 years. Does it lose its effectiveness? Should I switch to alternative? It was working (social anxiety) I did develop ringing in my ears - but that could have been due to my starting to smoke cigarettes. I have stopped smoking and Zoloft - the ringing has stopped. I would like to go back on zoloft.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You should resume the Zoloft if it was working for your social anxiety. No, it does not loes effectiveness. Since you took it for 2 years without problems, then the ringing in your ears must have been due to another cause. Sometimes a new symptoms like that is related to starting another new drug or something that changes the metabolism of the drug you've been taking (like Zoloft). Also, it might have been the smoking.

HIV, Meth, Depression
How long does HIV live outside the body?