HIV, Meth, Depression

I have been positive for 5 years and addicted to crystal meth (IDU) for slightly longer. I see statistic after statistic and HBO documentary after HBO documentary that offers little hope for addicts of this drug- with relapse rates of more than 90% AFTER rehab. I cannot begin to describe the sorrow or the shame that I feel for becoming addicted to this drug and letting it influence my behavior enough to wind up contracting HIV. In other words; failure on all fronts. Most of the time, I cannot figure out how or why I am still alive because truth be told, much of the time, I don't want to be. Have I done irreversable damage to both my body and my brain? Is there any chance of ever feeling normal again? What is the best course of treatment? The Pride Institute did not seem like the place for me when I checked them out earlier this year.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I don't know where you are located, but you should go to a reputable drug treatment program in your area. A good program should be able to help you with the crystal meth problem. You should not be discouraged by statistics. High relapse rates are not the same as failure to respond. If you are motivated and want to stop, then you have a very good likelihood of responding to the treatment that you seek.

Diabetes and HIV
prolonged zoloft use