I need advice for new HIV diagnosis of my 19 yr old son

My son was just diagnosed with HIV a week after his 19th birthday! I am devastated to say the least! He wont cry, he is not angry, he just stopped, no school, work and just lies in bed watching tv! I dont know how to help him, I dont know to fix this! I love him more than my own life and it kills me to see this vibrant boy, so full of life, just fade away from it! I am so nervous, his tcell count was 144 but his viral load is 500,000. His doctor says that will change when his body acclimates to the medication. Please give me some advice?

Response from Dr. Horwath

If he is in treatment (which apparently he is), he will not fade away. He is young and otherwise healthy, and he should have an excellent response to treatment.

This news is understandably difficult for you, but he should be able to maintain his current health status for a long time if he takes the medicine regularly. I encourage you and your son to read as much as possible on this website and others, educate yourselves and talk to others in treatment to help you to know the facts about HIV and its treatment. This will help you to face the future armed with knowledge, instead of only fear and anxiety. Best of luck to you and your son.

Blood Tests
Advanced HIV/AIDS