shingles

Hi I have a question about shingles. My partner and I have been together 5 years and we are both hiv positive, and two weeks ago we had anal sex and I ejackulated in him and then 1 day later he got shingles, he went to the doctor and got on medicine and it cleared up, now yesterday we had sex again and I ejaculated in him again and today he has shingles. So my questions is can I be a carrier if shingles and be passing it to him? Thanks for takeing the time to answer this. I know we should be protecting ourselves.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You cannot give your partner shingles. It is a infection caused by a virus that is dormant inside nerve cells. With an immune impairment such as that caused by HIV, the virus becomes reactivated and causes the painful skin eruption known as shingles.

Even though you are both positive, you should use condoms during sex. Being HIV+ does not protect you from harm that can be caused by your partners strain of virus. Use protection during sex.

Getting him to be more healthy
Always worried about my regimen