Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are diet pills less safe for HIV + people
May 4, 2006

I have never told anyone this, but I have been taking diet pills for a long time now... like 10 years; with the exception of when I was pregnant. I don't know if it's some kind of addiction or what, but I generally use the thermogenic fat burners. Are these pills more dangerous for those of us with HIV? I think I'm kind of hoping you tell me yes and I have to get away from them, because part of me wants to stop taking them, and I know they're not the way to keep fit. Thanks

Response from Dr. Horwath

The first thing you need to know is that you are wasting your money on "thermogenic fat burners." These "diet pills" are based on slick advertising campaigns, but are not supported by scientific evidence. The FDA does not review or monitor supplements like this, so they can make unfounded claims in their advertising. This situation led to the widespread use of ephedra and serious health consequences for many users.

I would recommend stopping the diet pills.

Previous
I Think I'm Not Depressed
Next
ginseng and hiv meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.