HIV+ partner and children

My partner is HIV+ and I have tested negative. We are going to get married this year and we really want to have children.How do we go about this and is there a way he can still impregnate me without passing on the disease?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Several clinics have explored ways to enable discordant couples to conceive while protecting the HIV-negative partner against infection. Various groups have been studying assisted reproduction techniques such as sperm washing, intrauterine insemination (IUI), in vitro fertilization (IVF), and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), which involves the injection of an egg with a single sperm. Some studies indicate that the use of assisted reproductive techniques substantially decreases HIV transmission between couples trying to conceive, but the number of couples involved in these types of studies is small.

You can read more about this topic by going to: http://www.iasusa.org/pub/topics/2004/issue2/61.pdf

This is an article in Topics in HIV Medicine, entitled "Reproduction Decision Making for Couples Affected by HIV: A Review of the Literature".

medical
Hi I am negative and my partner found out he was positive whilst I was three months pregnant