Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ partner and children
Apr 26, 2006

My partner is HIV+ and I have tested negative. We are going to get married this year and we really want to have children.How do we go about this and is there a way he can still impregnate me without passing on the disease?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Several clinics have explored ways to enable discordant couples to conceive while protecting the HIV-negative partner against infection. Various groups have been studying assisted reproduction techniques such as sperm washing, intrauterine insemination (IUI), in vitro fertilization (IVF), and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), which involves the injection of an egg with a single sperm. Some studies indicate that the use of assisted reproductive techniques substantially decreases HIV transmission between couples trying to conceive, but the number of couples involved in these types of studies is small.

You can read more about this topic by going to: http://www.iasusa.org/pub/topics/2004/issue2/61.pdf

This is an article in Topics in HIV Medicine, entitled "Reproduction Decision Making for Couples Affected by HIV: A Review of the Literature".

Previous
medical
Next
Hi I am negative and my partner found out he was positive whilst I was three months pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.