Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly magnetic after 15 yrs
Apr 25, 2006

Dr.,

I tested positive in Aug 2005. My partner of 15 yrs is, and remains, negative. He has been supportive throughout this challenge. In addition to the hiv, I've come down with herpes and anal warts since my diagnosis. I started meds in Dec and am doing well. I am somewhat scared to have sex with him, although we have had sex a few times over the last few months. I have always been the top, so the risk is great -- but I know condoms are effective if used properly. In addition to the hiv, I'm nervous about giving him herpes or warts (I'm having them removed on Monday), so the sex is nonexistant. Commnication in general has been a challenge for us, but it is an especially big challenge when sex is involved, this has led us to have an "assumed" open relationship. Assumed because we never said, No --- or Yes. We decided in Jan that we should give absolute monogamy a try. How do we communicate better about this -- and how do I get over my fear of infecting him. I feel so lucky that he is still negative. Guilt comes and goes for me, but the one thing I am sure of is that we both love each other and are determined to stick this out. I'm not sure if there is an actual question in here -- I'm just concerned at how we make this work.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You are right to be concerned, but if you use proper precautions, the risk of infecting your partner is low. I believe that the two of you need to discuss the issue further. The decision to have sex is one that each of you makes, and each of you shares the responsibility for any consequences. If he is fully informed, but decides to accept the risk (even though it is low), then you need not feel guilty. Your resposibility is to inform him and to carefully use precautions.

Previous
MISSION TO DIE
Next
Memory Problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.