Mar 24, 2006
My girl friend I are both Hiv positive, and on Med with undetectable VL. We have always practiced safe sex.
For the last 2 weeks we stopped using protection, because we are trying to get pregnant, my question is what is the risk of cross infection?
Response from Dr. Horwath
The risk of "superinfection," which is infection with a second strain of HIV, is probably low, but not zero. The undetectable viral load puts you at low risk, but if you are regular sexual partners and don't use protection, you have a risk of passing your own strain of HIV to your partner, and vice-versa.
Perhaps this risk is worth it, given you goal, but that's a decision that you need to make.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does HIV Cause Pain In Urethra?
- How Likely Is It To Get AIDS From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Ache In Testicles After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Blood In Semen After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Eating Food Made By Someone With HIV Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.