re: HIV in the Workplace

Dr. Horwath, I have to ask if your reply to the indivudual who asked about an hiv+ person can work in a doctor's office reflected your opinion or fact. Your answer indicated that they should not be involved in procedures like drawing blood. I know there are some medical procedures that should not be considered, i.e. surgery, but what, exactly, is the risk posed by a positive person drawing someone's blood?? This is the first time I have run across this bit of advice -- I am a medical technologist, although not currently working in a lab - I do plan to return some day and expect to have to draw blood as part of my duties. Thank you for your efforts here and I look forward to your reply.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Drawing blood involves handling a sharp needle and performing an invasive procedure on a patient. A person providing medical care needs to be guided by the principle of "do no harm." Although the risk to the patient is small, I don't see why a patient should be exposed to it.

To be clear, this is my opinion.

how can I leave him when he's hiv+
on advarage how long has he had HIV