Mind over matter ? reality?

Hi, my partner and I are both Long Term Survivers (20+ years, both) and have been a couple for 6 years now. When we have sex together it is always bare (unprotected) by our choice and discussion. Prior to our joining, my CD counts were on average 55/ml (between 50 & 60 for several years. I have had many events through the years which have landed me in the Hospital, treatment for various side effects and infections (dehydration to Cryptococcal Meningitis) and have managed to survive. but even though my meds were able to supress my Viral Load, my CD counts seemed static.

Since my partner and I have been together, each and every lab (monthly until the past year where we've gone on 3 mo. cycles) my labs have gotten better and better with each and every lab, yet there has been NO change in meds, for in excess of 8 years.

We have never been able to get a geno/pheno-type done due to <50 viral load for nearly 8 years, etc. My most recent labs indicated that my viral was still <50 and CD4 count of 387.

How much of this can be atributed to the medication and or the happiness of a loving and stable relationship. and the continuing use of the "same old meds" (Kaletra 400mg/BID, Diflucan 400mg/BID, Videx EC/400mg/QD, Sustiva 600mg/QD - my partner is on a diff. group of meds.

I still have a lot of other "issues" which interfear with life, medication side-effects, etc, fatigue, and so on.

Response from Dr. Horwath

I am sure that your continued undetectable viral load is due to the effects of your antiretroviral medications.

A loving and stable relationship contributes enormously to one's quality of life and psychological well-being, but it cannot substitute for effective antiretroviral treatment.

sustiva and previous history of depression
meningitis to hiv