Normal life expectancy?

First, I would like to thank you (like everyone else) for the unbelievable job you do on this site. I'll make my question brief.

1. If HIV is a serious but manageable disease (and I believe it is), then why does nobody ever freak out or have to see a shrink when they find out they have diabetes?Unlike HIV, one tends to fall apart and immediately start asking questions about Life Expectancy. Please give me your thoughts.

2. Do you believe that someone (40 yrs. Male non-smoker) can live a normal life expectancy (into their 70's) with the proper medical care and access to meds? Please answer

Response from Dr. Horwath

People do freak out and see shrinks when they find out that they have diabetes or cancer or a variety of other illnesses. This is not unique to HIV, but common to many serious medical illnesses.

I cannot predict life expectancy. But I can say that proper medical care, access to HAART, proper nutrition and self care will surely lengthen life expectancy when compared to the absence of these measures.

Effexor stopped working??
LESSONS ON LIVING WITH HIV