Effexor stopped working??

I've been treated for 5 months now with effexor (187.5 mg) for depression (and severe insomnia). I take my effexor in the morning! I have to say that this drug tooked away my sadness and brought back my motivation and concentration! But i was never happy on it (like in a joking mood!) and it never brought my sleep back. Recently i've experience a relapse of my depression while on the drug (no motivation, no concentration, crying ect..). Even tough i was increasing the dosage it didnt do anything! So my doctor added Wellbutrin (150 mg)to my effexor (now i just take 150 mg). Right now I'm in the first week and i'm starting to feel better!! here is my questions. 1- Is it common to relapse while on effexor???(is it just me??) 2- Event though i'm starting to feel better with wellbutrin, don't you think its weird that my doctor didnt switch effexor for something else since its not working anymore?

Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Horwath

Depression tends to wax and wane even if it is untreated. You had a response to Effexor, but the dose you were on was not enough to get you through a period of more severe symptoms. It is often helpful to increase the dose in a situation such as this. I don't think you should conclude that the Effexor was not working, but perhaps the dose was inadequate. Effexor is often used in doses of 225 mg or higher.

Adding Wellbutrin is a common augmentation strategy in the treatment of depression.

cd4 count dropped over 300 in 3 months
Normal life expectancy?