Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 count dropped over 300 in 3 months
Mar 17, 2006

a family member was diagnosed last year with hiv. after his 6 month recheck his count dropped much lower that expected. so the doctor said probably start medication next time (that will be in may. At first the doctor said probably 10 years before medication. i am very confused and now he has shingles. He has had numerous infections and takes antiobiotics very often. I am very scared his immune system is dropping lower and lower. Any advice?

Response from Dr. Horwath

I'm sure that the doctor said that it is usually 10 years between the initial HIV infection and developing any illness. Although your family member was diagnosed HIV+ last year, he or she may have had HIV long before the first positive test.

I don't know why things are getting worse now, but I agree with his doctor that now is the time to start treatment. A good treatment response should bring his CD4 count back up and stop these frequent illnesses, which are due to his current low immune function.

Previous
Anxiety and Fear About The Future
Next
Effexor stopped working??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.