Anxiety and Fear About The Future

Dear Dr. Horwath:

I am a 42-year-old male diagnosed with HIV in February 2003. At the present time I am taking Combivir and Viramune. My CD4 is 708 and my viral load has been undetectable for over 2 years.

Here is my situation. I feel like I am always waiting for the "other shoe to drop" such as opportunistic infections, pcp, neuropathy, and lipo. There is not a day that goes by that I am anxiously thinking about it. I also don't know how to plan for any kind of future. What will I be like in 10 or 15 years with HIV? How do I plan a retirement? is there will even be one. I don't think I will be here at 62 - that's 20 years from now!!!

Please give me some feedback and recommendations.

Response from Dr. Horwath

You have had an excellent response to treatment. With a Cd4 count of 708, you are at no greater risk of developing an opportunistic infection or pcp than someone without HIV infection. With your medications, the risk of lipodystrophy is also less than with some other regimens.

What will you be like in 10 or 15 years with HIV? How do you plan a retirement? Well, none of us knows what we will be like in 10 or 15 years. Planning for the future requires having hope that there will be a future for oneself. You have every reason to expect that you will have as anyone else does. Can anyone guarantee that it will be rosey or problem free? No, but that is equally true for all of us frail humans.

Bipolar and HIV+
cd4 count dropped over 300 in 3 months