Bipolar and HIV+

Dr Horwath, as an HIV+ and bipolar patient, is it safe for me to take levomepromazine, prometazine and diazepam? I'm planning to change to Zyprexa. I'm somewhat scared, because I've read that these meds (incl. olanzapine) can damage the immune system. Is this true? Will they cause liver damage? My CD4 is currently on 426 and I'm not on meds yet, due to naturally very low VL.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Promethazine is associated with some neurological side effects (muscle rigidity and tremor) and people with HIV are somewhat more sensitive to its side effects.

Valium interacts with some protease inhibitors (especially ritonavir) and may have higher that expected blood levels as a result. For some people, this may mean more side effects (like sedation, drowsiness) and may require a decrease in the dose.

I'm not familiar with levomepromazine.

dormant disesase
Anxiety and Fear About The Future