Family support for one that is infected with HIV

My younger sister may be infected with the HIV virus. I have been doing research on the virus so that I am able to be there for her adn help her through this. My question for you is how infact I should deal with the results. I will be going with her to the doctors office to get her blood test and am her main support system. As of right now I am the only one that knows. Our mother passed away at a very young age from Lyphatic cancer and death at an early age is our greatest fear. Is there any advice that you can give on how to help support her and let her know that it is not the end of the world. She is so young and this came to her as an absolute shock. I have always been her protective older sister and I am doing everything within me to remain calm and supportive. I don't want to break down and scare her. Any information for family's dealing with the infection of a loved one would be very helpfull. Any website that you can direct me to would be great.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Horwath

The best support you can give is to be by her side and reassure her that she is not alone in this. Educating yourself about HIV is also very helpful, because you can be more informed and objective in understanding what is happening during the course of her HIV infection. When visiting health care professionals with her, you can help her to be assertive and ask the important questions, to organize her questions and to press the doctor spend time with her and you.

A website that provides help and support for women with HIV is

WellProject.com

Advanced AIDS & depression
dormant disesase