Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So Why Should I Care?
Feb 14, 2006

Briefly. 50 yrs. Diag 8 years ago , Hetro. Numbers up/down. Have taken meds on and off ( STI) Last VL 15000 T's 202. But so much depression from other life junk I really do not have any joy for the future ( do not tell me go get SSRI comeon !!) So when is it OK to say had life , enjoyed a lot of it and now ready to move to another plane?? $1500.00 a month to make drug co's rich for what ...Old Quality vs Qty question . Feel so much beter off meds regardles of # so why should I be made to feel like if I do not take 20 meds a month and work out etc... I have a disease and want to let it ( God) take its course , why should I have the pressure to hang on a bit longer , give Glaxo a few more bucks ?????

Response from Dr. Horwath

Where is the pressure coming from? The decision to take antiretroviral medication or not is entirely yours. Treatment is not forced upon you, nor should it be. You are the one to decide if you prefer not to take antiretroviral medications and accept the risks that go along with that decision.

However, if you are depressed, you should seriously consider getting a psychiatric evaluation. Depression can cause a person to feel more more pessimistic about life and about the prospects of treatment. Depression can cause hopelessness about the future and a feeling that treatment and life itself are futile. I have treated people suffering from depression and seen them regain hope and a desire to live. And SSRI's are not the only available treatment. Cognitive therapy and intersonal psychotherapy are appropriate treatments for some types of depression, and there are a variety of other antidepressants if medications are indicated.

Previous
DISCLOSURE
Next
Survival

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.