Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question about testing
Feb 9, 2006

I had unprotected sex with a female that i didn't know very well. She told me about an ex boyfriend she had from Africa. I have been obsessed about hiv. I found a company off the National HIV testing resources website called Access Medical Screens.I tested negative for HIV-1 and HIV-2. The lab they sent me to was Labcorp. I got the results really quick within a couple of days by phone. Can I trust these results?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Labcorp is a recognized and reputable laboratory testing company. You have no reason to doubt these results. You should know that it may take up to 3 months after an exposure for the HIV antibody test to turn positive.

You should also know that your best protection is to always practice safe sex (use condoms). The HIV antibody test will not prevent HIV infection, but only inform you of it after the fact.

Previous
ADC Advice
Next
HIV common request

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.