Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Some encouragement Please!
Jan 20, 2006

Dear Dr. H: You recently answered a man who had been poz for six years and felt great despair because of his limited life expectancy. I've been poz since 1987. I was in my 30's then and it was a death sentence. The docs gave me "maybe two years" to get my affairs in order. Well, it's nearly two decades later. I have no viral load and CD4's of about 500. I feel quite certain I'll make it to the bibilical three score and ten myself and he'll probably go beyond that number because he's had better drugs for a lot longer than I did. (Heck, I remember well when AZT was brand new!) Despair? Hell, he should be feeling elation at the prospect of a long and relatively healthy life with this virus! That's what is possible today -without major heroics. Just ordinary treatment. What may happen tomorrow is anyones' guess. But barring suicide or total neglect of treatment - we're all going to be a here for much longer than we dreamed possible several years ago... And it's time we were telling this to the younger guys. IT's not a death sentence anymore!

Response from Dr. Horwath

Three cheers for your positive outlook, and for getting back to living your life!

Previous
THIS is the answer people need!
Next
Depression, rates of success in treating

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.