The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jan 18, 2006

Im a 19 year old female, I was raped in November of 2004. I tested neg in March for HIV but I am still feeling at risk.

I have reached a new level of stress within the last few days. Come to find out, my 11 year old sister has been communicating with the guy who raped me and she told him where I live, everything about me and she even gave him my phone number and even my previous phone bill. The last 3 days hes been calling all of my friends, harassing them and spreading lies about me and telling people that he gave me aids. Now I cant sleep for two reasons, the guy is stalking me and now im ever more worried that he gave me a disease now that he called people and told them he did. Should I retest?

Response from Dr. Horwath

The negative HIV antibody test in March, 2005, tells you that you were not exposed to HIV as a result of the rape in November, 2004. You don't need to be retested due to the rape, but you do need to contact the police. If you didn't report the rape before, then do so now, and also report his stalking behavior to the police.

You need to involve your parents in this as well. You need their help to protect you and also to speak to your sister about her behavior. You may also get some support and advice from a rape counseling service. Many areas have free or low cost counseling available to women who have been sexually victimized in this way.

For all those worried please read
HIV + and having an affair

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint