stimulants (dextroamphetamine, provigil) depression, hiv fatigue

i used a search engine and typed in dextroamphetamine and fatiue. the very first option that came up was a short study suggesting use of dextroamphetamine for hiv people like myself for both depression and fatigue -- and i hadn't even typed any of that in the search engine. My question is, knowing that you all are very cautious & conservative about using dextro, can you recommend anything just as effective -- Provigil no longer works for me, ritalin never did; everything else seems milder. Anbd what does one do after the drug wears off and one feels drained. Can 2 drugs be used, one to offset the withdrawal effect of the other? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

Dextroamphetamine is very effective for the treatment of fatigue, slowed thinking and apathy, often seen in people with HIV infection.

If Provigil and Ritalin do not work for you, then dextroamphetamine in low doses is probably the drug of choice. It should be used cautiously in people with a history of a psychotic disorder, seizures, head trauma or other serious brain disease, such as meningitis, encephalitis or brain tumor. It is relatively safe to use in people with early AIDS, but should be avoided in people with very advanced AIDS or severe dementia.

health dept. calling me
kaletra and benzodiazapans