No highs, lots of lows

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with full blown AIDS last Decmeber....doing much better physically. T-Cells at 465, viral load undetectable since August. I'm on a regimin of Norvir, Truvada, Reyataz and K-Pax vitamins (added in October). However, I don't think I'm doing well mentally.

Initially, it started with an ability to achieve or maintain an erection. Then my sex drive fell off completely. Now I discover that I'm not finding pleasure in just about anything. This became very apparant last night when I made my Carnegie Hall performace debut, got a standing ovation, and it just meant NOTHING to me.

My doctor doesn't seem too concerned, and the AIDS assistance group I use agrees, and neither recommend any treatment. I, however, am very concerned, since it seems to be escalating. Any thoughts, kind words?

Response from Dr. Horwath

In men with HIV infection, a common cause of symptoms such as these is a low testosterone level (caused by HIV). This diagnosis can be made by a simple blood test (serum testorterone level).

However, loss of capacity for pleasure and loss of libido (sex drive) are cardinal symptoms of depression as well. If your testosterone level is normal, you would do well to visit a psychiatrist and be evalauted for the presence of depression. Many people suffer needlessly and severely with undiagnosed and untreated depression. I have to disagree with your doctor and group. You should be evaluated and if depression is present (and it sounds like it is) you should be treated.

symptoms of aids dimentia
health dept. calling me