Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does HIV itself cause depression?
Jan 11, 2006

I have been living w/HIV since 1985. I have seen many friends with depression (myself included). I believe there is some evidence that HIV itself may have an impact on depression; "organically". We know alot about the connection w/ dementia etc.. but, specifically, is there an increase in depressive disorders associated with HIV infection and not associated with the situational concerns we go though as PWHIV?

Response from Dr. Horwath

We know that HIV enters the brain and invades some of the cells in the brain, but not neurons. We know that some cells in the brain do not function properly as a result of HIV infection. In people with advanced AIDS, ie. with low CD4 count and high viral load, this can present as HIV-associated dementia. In people with less advanced AIDS, the early symptoms associated with this process are apathy, social withdrawal, fatigue, and slowed thinking. In many people with AIDS, social withdrawal and fatigue are further exacerbated by wasting syndrome and low testosterone levels. People with these symptoms appear depressed and cannot easily be distinguished from people with depression, but without HIV infection.

Also, there have been some epidemiological studies that show an increased prevalence of depression among people with AIDS when compared to those without HIV infection.

Previous
Future orientation, esp. about money
Next
BiPolar & HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.