Future orientation, esp. about money

Three years after my HIV+ diagnosis - though I'm healthier than ever - I'm having trouble maintaining a future orientation about a lot of things, particularly money. I've been spending excessively on clothing and luxury items, and justifying it by thinking I may not be around in a few years anyway. Is this kind of behavior common? Can you provide any thoughts or resources on how to keep this kind of thinking in check? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Horwath

There really is no reason to think that you face a short life. If you are in treatment and responding well, then you can expect many more years of life. While fears about your future are understandable, spending excessively may be a symptom of a psychiatric problem. You should consult a psychiatrist or psychologist for an evaluation to help determine if this is a symptom that may respond to treatment.

Im Tired of fighting....
Does HIV itself cause depression?