risperdal an antidepressant?

Hello again, and thank you for your reply to my rather lengthier question post before. I was later taken into the psych dept after one of my resident advisors saw me on a 'low day.' This doctor prescribed me with Risperdal or Resperidone. Now I guess there are 2 questions that needle me. First, this drug is more associated with bipolar problems, and seems targeted to be more like a tranquilizer, or medicine against periods of mania. Will this drug be able to make me feel better about everything, and return to academic work, if it is used more to 'bring down' someone from a manic period of bipolar disorder? The second question is whether the medication or perhaps any medication could in fact be useful if I am to face a scedule of final examinations within the next couple of weeks. I see that this risperdal and perhaps all other meds take 3 weeks to be effective. So my question is whether medication can help me return to a functioning state in time to take these exams, or whether, like everything else I seem to put myself in, there truly is no hope?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Risperidone is very effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder, especially manic episodes. The time to recovery depends on the dose and the severity of the mania, but some people improve within a few weeks.

Whatever the case, you certainly should not lose hope. Tests can always be postponed and taken at a later time, or the course taken again, if necessary.

mania
Im Tired of fighting....