mania

I am a 41 yr old male with HIV and toxoplasmosis. I recently had a severe single manic episode. Does this mean I only have a few years left to live?

Response from Dr. Horwath

No. Toxoplasmosis is a complication of AIDS that is associated with having an impaired immune system (low CD4 count). If you are properly treated for the toxoplasmosis, and you return to an effective HAART regimen, then there is no reason that you couldn't expect to do very well.

The manic episode may be related to the effects of the toxoplasmosis or of the HIV, but with appropriate treatment it should not shorten your life expectancy. The important factors are getting good treatment for the toxoplasmosis, getting on a good HAART regimen, and getting good psychiatric treatment to prevent further manic episodes.

citalopram
risperdal an antidepressant?