neuropathy and mental problems

My sister in law has neuropathy. She wears a leg brace and has diabetes.Otherwise she does not seem that bad. She has had numerous tests and consultations with neurologists only to find nothing significant. In the last number of years, she has become so negative. She has left my brother, turned my nephew on him, claimed abuse which is totally untrue. You could bet your house on that one. He just walked away from her negativity. One day she just left. Is it possible that the neuropathy is making her mental? Nothing makes her happy. Please give me some input because we just cannot believed what happened and it is playing havoc with the family.

Response from Dr. Horwath

The presence of constant or recurrent pain, such as in neuropathy, is a big contributor to the development of depression in people with chronic illnesses. Her negativity is one of the clear signs of depression. If you can persuade her to seek help from her doctor, or to consult a psychiatrist to be evaluated for depression, this would be helpful to her. I'm sure that she would benefit from treatment of her depression.

just rejected
Which has the better effect