Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trust in what you say
Nov 22, 2005

Eric here... Me and My husband were diagnosed 3 months ago now. What a rollercoaster it has been for me. Dr. Ben put me on Paxil and an anxiety drug of which I hardly have to take anymore. My husband has been so supportive of me and sometimes I worry that I am overloading him with HIV concerns. He is my rock and keeps me affloat. We are not currently ready to take meds yet, but I will be the first. Purhaps I can be a guide for him once that time comes. I have heard that stress on a relationship can happen during an HIV diagnosis. We are closer now than ever (if we could ever have been closer). But yet again, it seems that all my conversations center around HIV. I cannot and do not wish to bring down my partner in anyway. Any ideas when my worry / anxiety will deminish and I get on with life? I use my friends, my bosses at work, this website for help. I have been sober for more years than I could imagine. I lead a very productive life and am well respected even gay or HIV is not an issue with these wonderful people. I just want to have my head better screwed on than it is. It's not HIV thats going to get me, its my mental state.. Of which, it has imporved, but im not there yet..

Response from Dr. Horwath

It sounds like your head is screwed on quite well. You are thinking about the issues appropriately, considering when treatment may be appropriate, observing the effects of the situation on your emotions and thoughts, and concerned for your partner.

It is completely understandable to be anxious and pre-occupied with your HIV concerns at present. You were only recently diagnosed, and you should give yourself some time to adjust to the situation. You will surely feel calmer with the passage of some time, and find that you are better able to cope with the complexities of the situation. When that happens, you should be able to get back to some of the other important things in your life. I wish you the best.

Previous
st johns wort
Next
Mixed Results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.