Trust in what you say

Eric here... Me and My husband were diagnosed 3 months ago now. What a rollercoaster it has been for me. Dr. Ben put me on Paxil and an anxiety drug of which I hardly have to take anymore. My husband has been so supportive of me and sometimes I worry that I am overloading him with HIV concerns. He is my rock and keeps me affloat. We are not currently ready to take meds yet, but I will be the first. Purhaps I can be a guide for him once that time comes. I have heard that stress on a relationship can happen during an HIV diagnosis. We are closer now than ever (if we could ever have been closer). But yet again, it seems that all my conversations center around HIV. I cannot and do not wish to bring down my partner in anyway. Any ideas when my worry / anxiety will deminish and I get on with life? I use my friends, my bosses at work, this website for help. I have been sober for more years than I could imagine. I lead a very productive life and am well respected even gay or HIV is not an issue with these wonderful people. I just want to have my head better screwed on than it is. It's not HIV thats going to get me, its my mental state.. Of which, it has imporved, but im not there yet..

Response from Dr. Horwath

It sounds like your head is screwed on quite well. You are thinking about the issues appropriately, considering when treatment may be appropriate, observing the effects of the situation on your emotions and thoughts, and concerned for your partner.

It is completely understandable to be anxious and pre-occupied with your HIV concerns at present. You were only recently diagnosed, and you should give yourself some time to adjust to the situation. You will surely feel calmer with the passage of some time, and find that you are better able to cope with the complexities of the situation. When that happens, you should be able to get back to some of the other important things in your life. I wish you the best.

st johns wort
Mixed Results