Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OCD about HIV
Oct 31, 2005

i know you get many questions regarding OCD about HIV and AIDS. I tested negative a little over six months ago. At a pap test about a week ago i learned i had a yeast infection but was unable to get the medication right away. A few days ago i had diarrhea which looked to have a little blood, although i can't be completely sure. I have been sick with a sore throat and a dry cough, but i haven't been sleeping much the last few weeks. Because i think the worst constantly and expect that i must have HIV, I could not say if im bruising easily or have muscle aches cause it could be in my head. I havent had too much abdominal pain, but the other day i had a weird taste in my mouth and it looks like i have spots on my tongue, which i attempted to diagnose myself with as thrush. Am i being completely OCD about all of this or could these be signs of HIV?

Response from Dr. Horwath

The symptoms of HIV infection do not occur so soon after infection. Vaginal yeast infections are extremely common and are not a sign of HIV. The other symptoms are due to anxiety. You should protect yourself during sex, which will help you to avoid all this anxiety, and of course protect you form HIV infection.

Previous
anxiety or HIV? PLEASE HELP
Next
confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.