The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anxiety or HIV? PLEASE HELP

Oct 31, 2005

hello, im 15 years old and a couple months ago i had unprotected sex with a girl i didn't know very well, after finding a site on the internet about HIV and the symptoms i began noticing i have some of the same including, short term memory problems, hives or some kind of bumps/rash (usually after shower) depersonalization, fatigue, canker sores, muscle twitchs/limb jerks, faint white on sides of tounge, and swollen lymph nodes... is this just anxiety and stress!! or could it be HIV? i was tested but need another because i tested to early, my parents recently seperated could this be contributing? PLEASE HELP!

Response from Dr. Horwath

The symptoms you are having are due to anxiety. You had a negative HIV test, and symptoms of the sort that you describe do not occur so early after HIV infection.

In the future, practice safe sex, use condoms, get to know and trust your partner before having sex with her so that you can discuss the issues of sex, safe sex, HIV infection, etc., before jumping into a sexual relationship. You'll save yourself a lot of anxiety and grief that way. Meanwhile, ask your parents to help you get some therapy for your anxiety and stress symptoms. You don't need to tell them that it has to do with sex, if you don't feel comfortable speaking about the subject with them. But you would benefit from some adult help with your stress and fears.

Desyrel or Zolof w/Sustiva
OCD about HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint